The (revised) preparations for Music Geek Club are:
- Choose 5 songs in digital format.
- Note down their artist, title and year they were made.
- Remove all ID3 tags from them and give the files a random 8-character lower-case name, e.g. bhf8ebty.mp3.
- Upload them to the shared Dropbox folder or bring them along on a portable drive.
The procedure at Music Geek Club is:
- Put all the tracks in a random order in a playlist.
- Play one track at a time.
- During the track, everyone listens, and notes down who they think brought it, what they think it might be, what year they think it might be from, a rating from 1 to 10, and any other comments.
- After the track, the selector reveals him or herself, and tells us what it was and why he or she chose it.
- Then we compare ratings and fight.
- Repeat 3 x the number of music geeks times.
- 5 points for correct selector, artist and track respectively
- 5 points for correct year, 4 if one year off, 3 if two years off, 2 if three years off, 1 if four years off